Nomatlou Mahlangu founded the Golden Youth Club project in 2001 as a non-profit organization in the garage of her parents in the township area of Winterveld. GYC is a young dynamic project with a passionate vision to make performing arts more accessible to audiences in South Africa and across the world.
Golden Youth Club is constantly exploring new creative ways of bringing out the true essence of education in schools and also in communities. We always focused on issues that affect our leaners on their daily lives. We reflect on them and turn thoughts into artistic performance –whether it’s a song, a dance or a play. Our aim is to convey that, regardless of where you come from, there is one language we can all understand. We do not need to speak to the same tongue. Art send the message to everyone, from one end of the globe to other.
GYC is composed in Performing Art and Peer-Leader International projects, which creates a nurturing environment that encourages cross-cultural exchange and celebrates the versatility of the human spirit.
PERFORMING ART PROJECT
These project constantly exploring new creative ways of bringing out the true essence of traditional dances. It has evolved its own distinct style of presentation by fusing ethnic and modern genres of dancing. Its musical compositions are confluence of South African traditions and culture. Each dance composition is carefully crafted with intricate detailing in synchronization, choreography pattern, thematic costumes and suitable light & stage effects. It is multi-awarded and globally esteemed project it has maintained the wonderful work that the performers continue to carry out at grassroots level. Since 2002 this project has diverse repertoire of work under its extensive portfolio combining the best in Gauteng and North West (Winterveld, Soshanguve, Garankuwe, Itsoseng-Hebron and Vosloorus)
To promote a conducive environment for economic opportunities for youth in the tourism sector by promoting cultural activities, clothing, arts and craft as well as art vision.
Train the youth voluntarily to minimize the high crime rate in our community avoid teenage pregnancy by exploring their talent through theatre.
Create jobs through performing art.
- To become one of the integral leading South African group. Whilst appreciating and maintaining a diversity of culture.
- To provide a mechanism through the strategic development of the arts whereby disadvantaged youth are helped to become part of the reconstruction process in South Africa.
- To provide people a centered education and training in performing art to unemployed youth in order to develop their income generating skills and open up opportunities for further learning.
TYPE OF PERFORMANCE
- Ensure that the youth have a sound understanding of their national cultural heritage;
- Promote the cultural activities through traditional dance, clothes, food and custom behavior
- Promote South African history from an African perspective in fulfilled way; and
- Expose local artist to both local and international markets and provide facilities for local performance
- Empowers youth with new personal and interpersonal skills (personal growth and social skills)
- Unearth their latent leadership skills: to help develop a new generation of positive young leaders for our country
- Take South African languages and culture to global stages and audiences.
- Facilitate cultural exchange programmes between GYC with other provinces, countries and the world.
- Ensure local artists are casted into international block-busters(big-budget) projects, theatre and films.
- Promote South Africa as a film location and theatre destination of choice for international producers.
- Traditional Dances (IsiZulu, Setswana, Northern Sotho, Southern Sotho, Tshivenda, Tshitsonga, Ndebele & IsiXhosa.
- Contemporary Dance
- Musical Theatre
- Gumboots Dance
- Puppet shows
- Music (Gospel, Traditional, HipHop, Acapella, )
- Filming & Editing
- Graphic Design
- DJ’s(All Genre of Music)
Golden youth club is also deeply aware of its social responsibility. The project consciously engaged in supporting the needy society who are vulnerable who do not see any hope for the future, who’s hungry, cold and the most cases been seen upon as outcasts of the community. As citizens of Winterveld we targeted disadvantage areas from rural and township communities because is recognized as crime zone and well known with high rate of unemployment, poverty and illegal foreigners.
05/2006 – 02/ 2014 Office for culture- and media-projects GmbH, Hamburg, Germany Organization of the Children-Culture-Caravan 2006, 2009, 2011, 2014 Official project of the UN- world- decade, education for a sustainable development and cultural exchange program Youth groups from Germany, Bolivia, Brazil, Peru and South Africa. This invitation was extended to Holland, Austria and France.
11/2006 Performed National and International Gymnastics Festival that was held at Cape Town and Austria
06/2008 – 07/2008 Tufag International Folk Dance Festivals at Turkey (Istanbul, Bursa, Yoliva)
04/2016 – 05/2016 Participation in Paper & Practice symposium at Germany (Kassel)
06/2016 – 07/2016 Launching for African Germany Youth Initiatives Launch in Bonn- Germany
07/2016 – 08/2016 Peer-Leader International Conferences in Germany
2014 Nominees for SATMA Awards
2006 Award Winner for Tshwane Tourism in 2006 as best performing
2009 BPDM Celebrating Mandela Day Sports, Arts and Culture Awards
2002/2012 Provincial Winners for Cultural Calabash
2005/2006 National Zindala Zombile Festival
Some of National Performance
2008 Rand show Festival at Johannesburg
2009 We perform on the day of Reconciliation 2009 at Freedom Park to welcome the president of the State of South Africa Mr. Jacob Zuma
2013 Welcoming President Jacob Zuma to address the national council of provinces in Soshanguve
2014 Department of Home Affairs Farewell Party for Hounarable Minister Nkosazana Zuma during her departure to AU Chairperson position
2015 Welcoming African Deligates to AnkaraCOP12@UNCCD regional preparation meeting
2016 Mandela Day @ Nelson Mandela Children Funds
2016 Africa Day @ Ditsong Museum
GYC Own Events
17/05/2005 Bokgone Art Festival (40 community groups) performing drama, poetry, dance & music from Winterveldt, Mabopane, Soshanguve, Hamanskraal, GaRankuwa, Madidi and Hebron, kgabalatsane and Jeriko with 1500 attendance: Publicity was TV and Newspaper
18/03/2016 #GAMEON: Attendance List, Schools, Local Councilor, Odi Retail Water, Sunbake, FNB( Youth Activist and Entrepreneur), YALI, AESA, Local artists and performing art groups. 2500 people attended the event.
1. Mahlangu Nomatlou Johannah – Managing Director
2. Nkambule Johnson Thulani – Artistic Director
3. Steve Machaka – Financial Manager
4. Nthabiseng Molemo – Book keeper
1. Litswane Rose – Chairperson
2. Katlego Selokela – Administrator
3. Semakaleng Lekalakala- Graphic Design
4. Mahlangu Linah – Youth Director
5. Enneth Mgidi – Media analysis
|Luyanda Gift Ncubekazi
|Modiehi Winnie Mofokeng
|Audrey Louis Chabeta
|Steve Sipho Machaka
|Oupa Richard Khuboni
||International member (Germany)
||International member (Netherlands)